Thursday, January 08, 2009

Nice place for a hole!

My iMac started to go to sleep with no warning. It was very erratic and it was hard to nail down why. All I had to do was hit the shift key and it would come back to life, but it was annoying.

I did a few Google searches and was not having any luck and was ready to take it into the Apple store to get checked out. I don't mind paying to get something fixes, but I did not want to have them start swapping out parts until it worked again.

Then I stumbled across an article in how heat can cause the iMac to go to sleep. I looked in the system logs and there were error messages saying that the computer went to sleep due to hi temperatures.

I have vacuumed the vents across the top of the iMac before so I did that again, but what I did not know was that there is a 1.5" vent behind the pedestal. What a dumb place to hide a vent.





Once I did that everything has been going great. Keep those vents clean!

No comments: