Monday, October 06, 2008

Hotels charging for things you don't use

I spent the night at the Laveview Resort in WV over the weekend and when I was checking out there was a charge for $1.00 for the in room safe. I did not even know that there was one in the room until I saw the charge.

The only time I ever used the safe in the room was Las Vegas since I took some extra cash with me.

I started to do some math in my head to see how much money the hotel was making. They have 187 rooms and even if they only run at a 50% occupancy rate that adds up to 34,000 nights a year.

I took a quick look on the web and the "key" operated safe that was in the room and I can't even find them for sale, so I suspect that they have been there for a long time. Even a new digital safe can be had for under $150 and if you allocate $35 each to have them bolted to the wall your cost comes in around the $34,000 they bring in the first year.

I guess it's only a dollar, but I would rather seem then roll it into the room rate and not spell it out on my bill.

No comments: