Monday, March 14, 2005

Windows XP CD required to add Windows options

I tried to send a fax from my laptop today to the IRS of all people. When I selected the "Set Up Faxing" within the Faxes and Printers section of the control panel, it came back asking for the Windows XP CD. When is the last time you actually got the XP CD's with you laptop. They always include some form of OEM software that supposedly has all the stuff you need, but I could not get it to work.

I don't understand why microsoft does not allow you to go to their web site to add a component like this. If they are worried about you stealing their software, then the horse is already out of the barn, because you you have windows installed.

They need to really safeguard their core component of the operating system and then allow you to install all the others that you need. They allow you to upgrade and download the media players..... I guess that they want you in that space to sell you something else.

No comments: